Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Today I am broken. We played soccer this morning and everything hurts. I'm not sure why, I must have played harder than usual. We usually play for like, 3 hours.
Elder Martinez and I have been jogging in the morning when we wake up, so maybe that has something to do with it. I like running around here in the morning when hardly anyone is out yet, it's a pretty place.
On Sunday I went to Paraopbeba for church. Nothing of great significance happened. The Group Leader whose house we meet in works every day of the wekk until 5am and so he doesn't get a lot of sleep on Sunday because of church. During the sacrament meeting he sneakily put on a pair of sunglasses (bearing in mind that he sits in the front) so that he could close his eyes and sleep without anyone noticing. When I looked over from the sacrament table and saw him I almost laughed out loud; I had to control myself.
I gave the Gospel Principles lesson on Faith, and aside from the mini-apostasies it was a good lesson. After that we drove back to Sete Lagoas.
On Sunday afternoon Wilson was baptized. We found him through a contact that I did in the street. He chose me to baptize him, and I was nervous because he weighs about 180 pounds, I didn't know if I could handle it. Before we went into the water, I told him that, and then when we went to do the baptism he threw himself into the water and back up, which made things a lot easier for me. Unfortunately, I left a word out of the prayer and had to do it a second time. I looked up at the guy who told me to repeat it and told him, "but at least the baptism part worked out." The second time everything went great.
Afterwards, Wilson told us that when he was in the water, despite the fact that it was freezing cold because the water heater is broken, it was really "gostoso" (felt really good) to be under the water, and he wished that I had left him under longer.
Wilson is unemployed and we've been trying to find him a job. He is an ex-paramedic and is trying to get back into the field. On Sunday night, he got a phone call from a guy he used to work with asking him to come back and work on the Ambulance team because they need him. He has to do a 6-month course to finish his qualifications and it costs R$2,000 (about $800) but we're trying to see if the church can't help him out with that. When he called us to tell us about what had happened, I told him "the Lord didn't even wait one day after your baptism to pour out the blessings!"

No comments:

Post a Comment