Wednesday, September 9, 2009

This week, on Thursday, we went and did some visits with Paul, the guy from London that's in our ward. He said he has 30 references of people that he wants us to contact, so he drove us around and we started contacting them. We got 7, I think, it was good. The problem is that he doesn't really speak Portuguese, but we were able to help him out. He's very outgoing and talks to everyone about the gospel. He does more missionary work than anyone else in the ward.
Our ward has an attendance rate of about 160 on average. It's close to being split.
On Sunday Irmão Branco, the high counselor who is in charge of Paraopeba went there to see how things are going and he said that Marcia was there and she told him to tell us to go back to her house because she wants to be baptized. He also said there was a married couple who talked to him and also said they wanted to be baptized. We thought, "fantastic! three baptisms this Sunday!" So we went there yesterday to teach this couple and see how marcia is doing. I personally don't really have much faith in her anymore, but we went to see.
Marcia wasn't home, so we went and invited the couple to the house where we have the meetings so we could teach them. They're from the Assembleia de Deus (Assembly of God? Does that exist?) They were very nice. Deli, the husband, has already worked for a church-owned business, so he knows much about the church already.
We taught them the first lesson, and the Spirit was very strong. Then we arrived at the end, and I said, "knowing from God that all of these things that we have said right now are true, would you follow Christ's example and be baptized in the church on the 20th of September?" But really, I didn't get to the part about the date, because before I finished Maria Lucia, the wife, said "No! no, no, no. I have already been baptized in the Assembleia church. Absolutely not." I was a little taken aback. I looked at Deli, and asked him and he said the same thing. We spent another 20 minutes talking about authority and Joseph Smith again, but it really didn't help. We ended up leaving the Book of Mormon with them and inviting them to church. So that was disappointing. I have no idea how Irmão Branco understood that they wanted to be baptized.
On the way to Paraopeba, Elder Vasquez called Sister Parrella, but she didn't answer so he waited for her to call back. He handed me the phone, but I said "no, you can keep it. After she calls give it back to me." He put it on his lap and fell asleep. She never called. Then our stop came and we got off. And the cell phone? It's still on the bus.
That means that I'm going to have to pay R$100,00 (like, $60) out of my missionary allowance to cover the lost cell phone. Really, it's not my fault, but since I'm the senior companion, the phone is my responsibility. The situation is under control, though.
So, now we have no cell phone and no communication with anyone. I talked to Elder Rospirski today and he said that by next Tuesday we'll be able to get our new phone.
Love you guys,
Elder Sisco

No comments:

Post a Comment