Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Wednesday, May 14th, 2008

Hello,
Talking to you guys on Sunday was great. I was a little disappointed that it went so fast.
I'm sending some pictures, and some of them are sort of crappy, sorry... but it's what I've got.
After the phone call, when Elder Alfaro went to talk to his family, I sat in the kitchen with our missionary work leader (I don't remember what that calling is in English...) and talked to him for the whole hour. He's got an interesting story. He's amazing and knows everything. I talked to him about all the apostles that he's friends with. He and Elder Faust used to be tight. It was Faust who set him apart to go on his mission, and they were friends 'til he died. Also he and Henry B. Eyring used to work together. And he told me this story about how once at a stake conference when he was stake president, Elder Ballard (I think- don't quote me on that part) was there, and since he doesn't speak Portuguese very well, he spoke in English and had a translator, but in the middle of his talk he turned around, sat the translator down in his seat and went back to the podium and gave the rest of his talk in perfect, comprehendable Portuguese and sat down. After his talk they could barely communicate with him again- because he doesn't speak Portuguese. Cool, eh?
He's also had lunch with or at least met like, 9 other apostles.
So we keep running into these 7th Day Adventists (is that right?) who just want to argue scripture with us in the road. This woman on Monday just walked up to me and started talking to me about her bible study and how she discovered that the sabbath is really Saturday. by the way, in the Portuguese bible the commandment isn't "keep the sabbath day holy," it's "keep the Saturday holy." That's a mistranslation that's given us some trouble.
I can't think of anything else to write, so I'm signing off.
Love you all,
Elder Sisco

No comments:

Post a Comment